Norah Gaughan is the guru of cables and this afghan is made up of 20 squares, each with a different cable pattern. These will be some of the most interesting cable stitches you’ll ever knit. We’ll do 3 classes to get the skills to make this afghan followed by sessions to give you help with any specific problems you run into as you make your afghan.
- Thursday, Nov 12, 2-4 pm: Learn how to knit cables, how to understand patterns and read charts.
- Thursday, Dec 3, 2-4 pm: Learn how to connect your squares together. We’ll learn how to use mattress stitch, crochet, or 3-needle bind-off.
- Thursday, Jan 7, 2-4 pm: Learn how to finish the outside border. We’ll learn the icord edge, the crochet slip stitch, and the crochet crab stitch,
- Help session meet every Thursday from 2 – 4 pm: Nov 19, (no meeting on Thanksgiving Nov 26), Dec 17, Dec 24, Dec 31, Jan 14, Jan 21, Jan 28, etc.
Prerequisites: Know how to knit and purl, be confident in repairing standard knitted mistakes, and be ready to work from charts to create some fabulous cables.
- Norah’s Vintage Afghan pattern from Berroco: http://www.berroco.com/patterns/norahs-vintage-afghan
- 20 skeins Berroco Vintage or other worsted weight yarn in desired colors
- Straight or circular knitting needles, size 7
- Cable needle
- Crochet hook, size 4.50 mm (G)
- Tapestry needle
Class 1: Set up to do Square 1: cast on 57 stitches and knit 4 rows.
Class 2: 4 stockinette squares at least 4”x 4”. Since we will be practicing different techniques, you may; prefer to not use your actual afghan squares.
Class 3: 1 stockinette square at least 4” x 4”. We will practice different types of edges, so you may prefer to use a scrap/practice square rather than your afghan.
*** Please note that all yarn must be purchased at Knit This Purl That! 10 % off supplies for all classes.